Friday, May 18, 2012

life is too short.

Oh, blog.  Blog, blog, blog.

So much has happened.  But let's get some things out of the way first...I'm feeling longwinded.

3 weeks off of wheat.  Meh.  Besides a 5ish pound weightloss, I really haven't noticed much of a difference...maybe less bloating?  Don't get me wrong - 5 lbs is good.  Less bloating is good.  I really do not miss beer (thanks to Chad and Ryan's wonderful g-f beer discoveries.  Try Widmer's Omission beers.  They're amazing and g-f.)  Based on what the doctor said, I was expecting superpowers or something.  I don't know.  But I can tell you, what HAS made a difference: Vitamin D drops, Adrenal Balance and active Vitamin B complex.  Yes, that has made all the difference in my energy levels, sleep (I stopped the weird snoring - yay!), and emotional state.  **Crap.  Hold toddler just walked in with a lidless sharpie.  Ok, I'm back.  Never buying cream-colored couches ever againHOLYCRAP.**  Where was I?  Emotional balance.  Much improved.  You see, I've started taking care of myself.  Dental visit - done (only 1 teeny cavity HOLLA!), Running shoes - bought (Thanks mom & Road Runner Sports!), along with my recent doctors appointments and a counseling appointment and other recent events have made me realize that It Is Time.  More on that later...

I have to stop and say thank you to those of you who have prayed for my family in recent weeks as Ryan's dad suffered a cardiac arrest on May 9th.  If you don't know the story, here's the short story.  That Sunday around noon, we got the phonecall everyone dreads.  Ryan's mom and dad were in Spokane, running the Bloomsday race.  Julie had already finished and was waiting for Dave at the finish line, when she got the call.  The paramedics had Dave - his heart had stopped.  Sudden cardiac arrest and he basically dropped dead at the bottom of Doomsday Hill.  He fell right near a paramedic team who worked on him right away.  They were unable to get his heart to respond right away and he was clinically dead for 2 minutes.  They got his heart restarted with a second try.  On the way to the hospital, his heart stopped again and they were able to revive him.  They were able to get ahold of Julie (everyone writes emergency contact info on their racing bib) and sent an ambulance to pick her up and took her to the hospital.  Ryan and I were at church when we got the news.  We ran home, grabbed some stuff and thanks to some wonderful people, were able to leave our kids in caring hands and get to our parents fairly quickly.  Those dear friends also sent their parents, who were closer, to go sit with Julie until Ryan and I could get there.  I can't describe to you the fear during that 4+ hour drive.  The feeling we experienced when we got a phonecall like that is indescribable.  Our hearts hit the floor and I went instantly numb.  Panicked and worried, we hit the road and got to Spokane in record time.  Long story short, Dave is fine.  A miracle.  He shouldn't be here.  

We're so grateful to God.  His heart sustained no damage and nor was there any brain damage.  He had 2 stents put in and left the hospital 3 days later.  It's taken awhile to process this for all of us who experienced the grief and worry, but we are so very grateful to the teams and hospital that kept him alive.  Turns out, the paramedic team he dropped in front of was the best in Spokane.  Turns out the hospital he was in:

- consistently leads Washington state for quality outcomes in cardiac care (Hospital Quality Alliance).

- performs three times as many cardiovascular procedures than any other hospital in the region (Department of Health, 2006).

- ranks in the nation’s top 10% of hospitals in treating patients for heart attack and congestive heart failure, and in the top 20% for coronary artery bypass grafting (Premier, Inc.).


So, as you can see...he was in the right place at the right time.  We're so thankful to God for giving him back to us, providing such outstanding care for him by the Spokane Fire Department, AFC Brian Schaeffer and the rest of the doctors/teams at Sacred Heart.  Everyone is amazed and grateful.  


I'll leave this post at that.  Recent weeks have changed me - for the good.  Life is good and beautiful.  More soon...